Women from the Leitrim Intercultural Women’s Group met on Thursday the 13th December. This was the final meeting before Christmas and the topic was was of course Christmas. Christmas traditions in different countries were shared.
Christmas wreaths were made. Using willow as a base the wreaths were decorated with lots of gorgeous greenery and finished with ribbon and bows.
Christmas in our different countries
- Armenia-Christmas is celebrated on January 5th-we have special red wine, boiled fish and rice with dried fruit
- Bangaladesh- Ramadan is the big celebration for us EID at the end of Ramadan is our biggest celebration
- Hungary-Santa comes on December 6th. We polish our boots and leave them on the window. In the morning they are filled with sweets and chocolates.
- Japan-New Year is more important to us
- Czech Republic- We decorate the doors and tables on the 6th. Christmas celebrations start on the 24th.
- USA-Thanksgiving is very important to us. At Christmas we decorate the house with wreats and Christmas tree
- Germany-We make wreaths for advent. On the evening before 6th January we leave our shoes outside and St Nicholas fills them with sweets